Protestant Episcopal Church, St. Philip's on Mulberry Street

Click thumbnail to view larger, or here to view full size.
Negative #75721

Date:

circa 1860

Creator:

photograph by G. Stacy

Rights:

Collection of the New-York Historical Society
In 1857 St. Philip’s moved from its original building on Centre Street to a more convenient location uptown on Mulberry Street. Despite their lack of funds, parishioners immediately set to work to beautify the new sanctuary. During the draft riots, authorities occupied the church as a barracks to house military troops brought in to restore order. The soldiers left the church heavily damaged. Devastated, St. Philip's parishioners demanded reparations from the city and the federal govermnment. It took them a full eight years to be reimbursed $1,500 out of the $2,500 requested.

Geolocation

Citation

photograph by G. Stacy, “Protestant Episcopal Church, St. Philip's on Mulberry Street ,” Black Gotham Archive, accessed January 17, 2018, http://archive.blackgothamarchive.org/items/show/10.